Setting up a Second Display for Customers
Common to the grocery industry, a second monitor is often used as a customer display, showing a running tab of their purchases, along with some form of advertising.
With this optional add-on feature enabled you can point to an HTML file either locally, or on the web, and display effective promotional information, along with a real-time receipt complete with product images.
As long as your POS register supports a secondary display, setting this up in Aralco is quite easy:
- Request the Client Screen files necessary from the Aralco support department, and place the files in the <drive>:\ARALCO\POS subdirectory on each register that will be hosting a second display;
- Within either the Back Office » POS » POS Settings, or Point of Sale » Setup » Software Options » Settings, navigate to and expand the Customer Screen settings;
- For each setting, enter the following:
Columns: Leave it blank. This is an optional custom field that should only be altered by an Aralco technician.
Display on Second Screen: Set to Yes.
Font Name: Enter the name of the font you want to use for the text on the customer display screen; i.e. Arial, Courier, etc.
Font Size: The default font size displayed.
Font Size Summary Big: Font size used for large print in summary area of the receipt.
Font Size Summary Small: Font size used for smaller print in summary are of the receipt.
Grid Width: The width of the receipt portion in pixels. For example, if the secondary display was 1920px wide, entering 960 would take up 50% of the display to show receipt information such as line items, sub total etc.
Row Height: The height of each line item row in pixels.
URL: If you want to point of a web page to display on the right half of the display enter the URL as either http://www.website.com/display.html, www.website.com, etc. To display a local html file, enter the local path such as C:\ARALCO\POS\display.html (more on this below).
- Save the settings. Next time a user logs into POS, the secondary display will show a screen with the receipt portion to the left, and the html page on the right.
If you want to use something like PowerPoint to create a page that shows rotating specials or product information, here is an easy way to set that up:
- Within PowerPoint you’ll want to setup the page size of your slides to match the proportional space in the POS settings. For example, if the screen is 1920px wide by 1092px high, and you’re allocated 800px to the receipt, your PowerPoint page width should be proportionally 1120px x 1092px in inches; approximately 8.21″ x 8″. This is something you’ll need to play around with since it depends on the dpi of the monitor.
- Once you have your PowerPoint slides worked out, use the Export feature within PowerPoint to create a video in wmv format.
- Next you’ll need to edit the html file so that it points to this video file you’ve exported. We’ve provided the file display.html with the Customer Screen files you saved in the \ARALCO\POS directory. Edit this file using Notepad, and change <PARAM NAME=”FileName” VALUE=”video.wmv”> to the name of the video file you exported from PowerPoint.
- In the URL: register setting (see step 3 above), the field should be set to the same file name and location as the file in the previous step; i.e. C:\ARALCO\POS\display.html.
This is an optional add-on for the Point of Sale system. For more information and pricing, please contact our Sales Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you require further assistance, please contact our Support Department at 604-980-4199 ext 2, or click on this link to submit a support request.